Thursday, December 06, 2007

LOOKING FOR BREAD IN A HEALTH FOOD STORE


Yesterday, I visited a Health Food Store. I had previously shopped at this store, so I thought I knew where everything was. As I entered the store, I headed towards the rear of the establishment, when suddenly as I scanned the shelves; I heard a loud femminine voice say: "Is there anything I can help you find", shouted from the check-out area, about 100 feet away. I responded: "I just got here, I'll let you know if I need anything". I continued to browse, and picked-up an 100 pill bottle of a dietary supplement. As I continued to scan the shelves, I looked for things to prepare a quick lunch, since it was lunch time. I picked-up some Sliced Soy-American Cheese, then I saw a small Macarroon cookie, great. I read its label, and it listed as an ingredient egg-whites. Well, strike one! Then, I said to myself, let me get some bread, and I'll make a sandwich with the cheese. While I was walking throught the aisle I overheard the previously mentioned attendant speaking to a tore patron; "Well, what you need is caffeine in your diet". The patron answered: "Why, if I don't like caffeine?" "Then, take these instead", the attendant responded. So, I continued down the aisle looking for bread. I walked down 3 long aisles, to no avail, no bread anywhere. So, I proceeded to the check-out area, there was a patron being helped, and I asked another attendant: "Where's the bread?" The first attendant blurted out: "There's bread all around the store, what bread are you looking for? I said, "Bread!" The belligerent spiked, short haired manly-female attendant was rude. She said it was in the frezer. And added something about, not having this or that additive. I said all the preocupation with glutte, and if it has this additive or that one, is unimportant; Why not just be a vegetarian? As if eating a pig that's raised in a wall to wall carpeted apartment makes any difference? It's still a pig, and it's still a carcass. Back to bread: Frozen bread, the staff of life? At a health food store, frozen? So I said that, that was a strange way to inform someone about where and what healthy bread is, and I walked toward the refrigerated section. There I saw meat products, eggs, all these products were labeled free roaming, no antibiotics, no growth hormones. Yet, they are still animal products, not vegetables or fruits. So, I grabbed instead a small bag of yellow corn chips for $2, and headed for the check-out. I went to the other side of the counter for another attendant to ring me up, then I noticed I wanted something to drink. There was a "cooler" nearby, and I looked at the selection, I hurriedly picked out something to drink. After I had left the store, and I sat down to eat I realized what I had picked up was a "frutopia" type Red tea (caffeine) drink.

Well, what I conclude from my visit to this health food store is that: "This is a Health Food Tennis Racket, withouth the Tennis". What do you mean frozen bread?
No fresh bread? Not at the Health Food Store?

No comments: