Friday, March 14, 2008

AN OBSESSION WITH ACCEPTANCE

MAKING A POINT: Salvation Army Colonel Earl Robinson addresses a dialogue session between the Army and Seventh-day Adventist Church representatives in Jackson's Point, Ontario, Canada. Adventist statesman Dr. Bert B. Beach listens, along with (at far right) Lars Lydholm of The Salvation Army's Danish territory. [Photo: John Graz/ANN] *



9As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

10For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.

11But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

Galatians 1:9-11 (King James Version)

Growing Up (Stretching out)

There has always been an overwhelming desire for acceptance from others. In children it probably begins with their everyday interactions with their siblings. It will then accelerate as the child enters school and comes in contact with other children, and the outside world. As a child's life progresses he is constantly challenged to compete and excel in many endeavors. Then, when the stage of adolescence is reached, the peer pressure factor comes into play; The young adult attempts to conform to his peers, and measures his self-worth through his peers acceptance or rejection of him or her. Here lies the symptoms that I have observed that plague the Seventh Day Adventist Church and its General Conference. Growing up is the condition that comes to mind when I think of the Corporate SDA's desire to be accepted by "the world".

Be like them (Losing focus)

Ever since the 1950's the General Conference of Seventh Day Adventists, has wanted to conform to their 'Evangelical Mainstream Modern Christians': The Methodists, Baptists, Presbyterians, Episcopal, and Lutherans, etc. Have we forgotten our SDA 'raison d'etre'??? Which is to preach the Everlasting Gospel or Three Angels' Message to a perishing and sinful world; And to prepare a people to stand on the day of the Lord's return.

Running an errand (Forgetting the important things)

As a child my Mom would send me to the store to get several items so Mom could prepare Dinner or Supper. These were ingredients that were needed for the meal; So, instead of running to the Super Market, I'd run down the street to the Bodega (Neighborhood Grocery Store). Mom always asked me to write down all the stuff she needed, but, I'd always say: "It's alright, Ma, I'll remember". Well, I would get to the Bodega and buy the stuff, and there was always something I just couldn't remember. I would rack my brain, and finally leave for home with most of the goods in the bag, except the stuff I'd forgot. When I got home, Mom would look through the goods I brought home, and say: "You forgot the garlic, or the lettuce". And I'd would feel so bad, and Mom would either make me run back to the store, or just finish the meal without it. Either way, Mom would be mad, and I'd be scolded. I never wrote it down. I always swore, I could remember.

One of the Guys (Look I'm with the fellows)

The General Conference of SDA, has been disproportionally preoccupied with being accepted by the so-called Christian Churches in the United States, and consequently worldwide. In 1956, when the GC attempted to impede the publication of an Evangelical book that was about to be release that would categorized the SDA religion as a sec; They (GCSDA) began a dialogue with the authors of this book; They compromised many of their fundamental beliefs in order that the book would portray the religion as mainstream Christian religion, not a sect or a cult. They won themselves a reprieve of the hated moniker; But, in the process compromised with the world. If they had read their "Great Controversy", they'd know that the "protestants" are part of the end time persecutors of God's remnant people; So why cater to them? Would you negotiate with a terrorist? Would you offer your executioner a piece of chewing gum before he slays you? Or, ask him: How's the wife and kids?

When Protestantism shall stretch her hand across the gulf to grasp the hand of the Roman power, when she shall reach over the abyss to clasp hands with spiritualism, when, under the influence of this threefold union, our country shall repudiate every principle of its Constitution as a Protestant and republican government and shall make provision for the propagation of papal falsehoods and delusions, then we may know that the time has come for the marvelous working of Satan and that the end is near.--5T 451 (1885).

Conclusion (Hip, or iHp?)

Do we want to be acceptable to our fellow man, or is our standard a heavenly one? Do we answer to a higher authority? Or, do our neighbors dictate our hopes and aspirations? Are we to keep up with the Joneses, or keep up with the word of God?

I'm OK, your're OK

My concern for God's remnant people is that they will follow this popular wave; I choose to called it a 'Tsunami' of worldly acceptance, and compromise. This obsession to feel that we are OK, is not OK with me. OK with the world, maybe; But, we are to be OK with the Father, not His children. Unless His children are acceptable to Him. We are not to follow them or have fellowship with them. Do we want to be Hip; Or do we want to be iHp: In His presence? Please choose to follow Him, and not the compromising tide that accompanies the ECUMENICAL mind set. Seek His approval; Never mind what the world thinks. The time is not too distant when you will have to stand before magistrates and courts to uphold your belief in an Almighty God. So, how can you prepare by taking short cuts, or making friends with the enemies of God?

How will we ever say "here I stand", when we're constantly sliding, succumbing to the enemy?

Have we forgotten our errand? How can you prepare the world while conforming to it?

We should not encourage persecution, but we must stand faithful when challenged by our opponents. Our foundation is a firm one, Jesus Christ the rock of ages. We are not here to prepare the world for Jesus' return to Earth; WE are to prepare His people to stand on His triumphant return!

*(Photo) March 16, 2005 Jackson's Point, Ontario, Canada

Arsenio.


No comments: