Thursday, October 21, 2010

Incredible Apostasy: But There is Hope

Incredible Apostasy: But There is Hope · February 01, 2003 X

By Elder Lawrence Nelson

Excerpt:

From these inspired statements God’s remnant are found to have four characteristics.

• They love God
• They keep His commandments
• They have the faith of Jesus
• They believe and obey the Spirit of Prophecy

But sad to say, the vast majority of those found within the Laodicean church do not meet these requirements. Notice how the Bible describes them. It’s not a pleasant picture. In fact, it reveals them to be in a most miserable state of affairs, yet thinking that they are ready to meet Jesus. Let me read this again so there will be no mistake, “I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.” Why? “Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked.” Again I want to reemphasize there is hope. For God says if such will repent and open the door that He will come in to them.

Now I hear a question: “Are you sure, Elder Nelson, that this chapter applies to our church today?” In Testimonies for the Church, Volume 1, p. 186 I read, “I was shown that the testimony to the Laodiceans applies to God’s people at the present time.” Now that’s a startling denunciation for it applies to the present time. I have been doing some research concerning God’s remnant people, both in ancient Israel and those of today’s modern Israel. As I give you these comparisons, keep in mind that in spite of ancient Israel’s apostasy a remnant was saved. Likewise, in spite of today’s apostasy within God’s modern Israel there will be a remnant who will be saved. So praise God, there is hope!

The Bible clearly teaches such a doctrine. I am reading from Romans 9:27, “Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved.” Praise God. As I read these words, my heart leaps for joy and is filled with hope, for amid the apostasy of Old Testament times a remnant was saved. And amid today’s apostasy a remnant will be saved.

.
Read whole sermon
.

1 comment:

JW said...

Gleaning wisdom from the bible, we can see that both churches, Laodicea and Philadelphia, go through until the end. If you remain in Laodicea, you will be lost, but if you return to the church of Philadelphia, you have the promise of eternal life. In all the confusion of who is right and who is wrong in our church, this scenario is very plain and simple. A thorough study is then needed to see the characteristics of those of the Philadelphia church which was comprised of those who were in the Sardis church. These were the faithful that survived the 1844 disappointment and who remained true to the True and Faithful Witness.