Thursday, December 20, 2012

No Hatred From Seventh-Day Adventists


No Hatred From Seventh-Day AdventistsPublished: Thursday | December 20, 2012


Colin Gyles

Colin Gyles, Guest Columnist

It is contrary to the principles and ethos of Seventh-day Adventism to hate people, whether Catholics, Muslims, Protestants, atheists, homosexuals, or any other. If there are Seventh-day Adventists who hate people, it is not on account of their being Seventh-day Adventists.

I am compelled to publicly make these declarations in response to an article published in The Sunday Gleaner, December 16, questioning 'Do Adventists hate Catholics?' by no less a person than the highly respected and eminent Father Richard Ho Lung.

It is an unfortunate and gross misunderstanding that would cause anyone to even entertain a question as to whether Seventh-day Adventists hate anyone. I speak on behalf of just about every Seventh-day Adventist that I have known.

First of all, I wish to establish my authority for being able to speak in this manner and also to make it absolutely clear that I am not speaking on behalf of the Seventh-day Adventist Church organisation. I have declared myself publicly to be of historic Seventh-day Adventist faith and also non-denominational. So I do not represent any church.

I was born and bred a Seventh-day Adventist, baptised in the church, served in various capacities, including youth leader and even elder at Kencot Seventh-day Adventist Church, one of the largest churches in Jamaica. My late father served for more than 50 years as an elder of the church, my late mother was a dedicated Adventist almost her entire life. All my siblings and close family members continue in the church and serve in various capacities, and I continue to hold to the faith.

I certainly do not hate Catholics and was never taught to do so. I have many very good friends who are Catholics. I did sixth form at St Catherie High School, a Roman Catholic school, and was even head boy there and a member of the board of governors of that school, being the student representative on the board.

I sent my son to Campion College, a school run by the Roman Catholic Jesuits, where he obtained a good education and represented the school in sports. No one can question the value added to our society and the world by Food For The Poor, a Roman Catholic-founded institution, and so many others.

Likewise, I could not hate Seventh-day Adventists, notwithstanding the well-publicised differences that I hold with respect to some of their currently held doctrines, notably the Trinity belief, which I reject and which was also rejected by the Seventh-day Adventist pioneers. To hate them would mean hating my closest family members. I was taught to love everybody.

A part of the Seventh-day Adventist philosophy is to love people, even if you disagree with their views. Even today, within the fellowship that I worship on Sabbaths, I hold different views from some of the other leading brethren. But we worship together, eat lunch together, love each other, and still vigorously advocate and defend our views in very lively theological discussions.

Where is the misunderstanding?

No one can question the value added to our society and the world by Andrews Hospital, Northern Caribbean University, and other Seventh-day Adventist institutions.

So, where does this misunderstanding arise that could possibly lead anyone to question whether or not Seventh-day Adventists hate Catholics?

I think it stems from a misunderstanding of Seventh-day Adventist theology. As someone of Seventh-day Adventist background, I know that there is a general interpretation among Adventists that certain biblical symbols represent the Roman Catholic system. It is the generally held view by Seventh-day Adventists, both historical and denominational, that Roman Catholics do not have the full understanding of spiritual truth and, like so many others in the world, could be better enlightened regarding some points of faith.

But when one feels that people misunderstand something and make mistakes because they do not know better, the feeling towards them is not to hate them, but to lovingly enlighten them.

So, I join with Father Ho Lung in encouraging not only Adventists and Catholics, but all humanity to love one another and live in harmony.

Dr Colin Gyles is a lay preacher of Philadelphia Fellowship, a historic Seventh-day Adventist Christian ministry. Email feedback to columns@gleanerjm.com and cagyles@yahoo.com.

Source



P.S.

And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. 
- Matthew 23:9.
.
.
.

No comments: