Thursday, May 23, 2013

Testimony of a Sikh to Christianity through reading the book Great Controversy





Uploaded on Apr 13, 2009


Testimony of Manjit 

Was formerley a Sikh and became a Christian from Reading the book Great Controversy.

Do you understand what you believe in? Do you understand why you do certain things? These questions were posed to me sometime ago. In fact it was my brother who asked me. At first I ignored him, then I did ask myself the question and was horrified with the answers. I feel convicted to tell you my story just how it happened.

I am from a Sikh background, my parents brought me up to believe in God and to trust him, and to be good, but I was never able to be a strict practising Sikh. I would pray to God often and ask him for his help but I was never prepared to do anything for him in return.

In 1988 while studying at university I went home one weekend to visit my family. I was very close with my family especially with my brother. To my horror he had changed in just a short period of time from when I last met him. He started preaching about God to the family. My brother had completely changed, and I thought he had gone mad. Although I believed in God I thought it was to severe to be completely religious in the 1980's, I thought God would understand. However I have always had convictions to come close to God but I always thought I was never good enough to become holy, or that it would not be practical in a society such as ours, besides I thought I was good enough to enter heaven.

Apparently a couple of weeks earlier on a training course he was put next to a christian who was putting together some bible studies during lunch times on his computer, about the end of the world. This subject has always fascinated me and my brother, and so his curiosity got the better of him. He started asking him questions and then they became friends. Now when he told me that, I thought he had gone mad because he was speaking a lot about Jesus to me. I thought this christian guy had hypnotised my brother.

Then he challenged the family. He asked us "Do you really understand what you believe in?" and "How do you know you are going to be saved?" I thought it was a silly question, my father just laughed at the question and my mother told him to shut up. However I listened because I knew in the past that my brother wasn't stupid but a sensible intelligent and logical person, so I eventually gave him the benefit of the doubt. I did't really want to answer him, so he asked me one other question, "How do you know that Sikhism can save you? When all the other religions claim the same thing but all contradict Sikhism?". We then talked for a long time on religion....

.

No comments: