Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Kasich on Religious Freedom Laws: 'What the Hell Are We Doing?'



(Wire Services Photo) By Greg Richter
Monday, 11 Apr 2016 10:38 PM


Ohio Gov. John Kasich says the rights of people who want to avoid participating in same-sex weddings should be respected but he believes Mississippi's recently passed law allowing private businesses and public employees to deny rights to gay people goes overboard.

"I'm a traditional marriage guy," Kasich said Monday in a town hall event on CNN, "but, I went home one day, I said, 'Sweetie, we've been invited to a gay wedding.' … She said 'I'm going, I don't know if you are or not.' And we went."

While he still believes marriage is between a man and a woman, Kasich said people should try to be understanding of each other.

"What are we going to do, write a law?" he said. "I read about this thing they did in Mississippi where apparently you can deny somebody service because they're gay. What the hell are we doing in this country?"

North Carolina passed a similar law recently as well.

"I may not appreciate a certain lifestyle or even approve of it, but that doesn't mean I've got to go write a law and try to figure out how to have another wedge issue," Kasich said, adding that some politicians are using the issue only to get publicity.

"We had a Supreme Court ruling," he said, "and you know what, let's move on."

A photographer who has a deep Christian faith that would have him object to attending a gay wedding should be allowed to bow out, he said.

"I might go down the street to another photographer," he said. "Why do I need to raise all that Cain about this?"

But, he added, "if I'm selling cupcakes, why don't I just sell a cupcake? That's what I do in commerce."

The issue gets "tricky" when figuring out how much someone should be forced to go against their deeply held beliefs, Kasich said. "But most of the time, I think we can accommodate one another, don't you? … We can accommodate one another even when we can have profound differences."

 Source

 .

No comments: