Melania reveals she is Catholic: The First Lady shares her faith with the world after meeting the Pope and spending time praying for sick children at hospital in Rome
- Melania Trump's spokeswoman confirms that she's a Catholic
- The first lady met with Pope Francis on Wednesday at the Vatican, where he blessed a rosary for her
- Then she went to a Vatican-affiliated pediatric hospital where she met with children, prayed in a chapel and laid flowers at the feet of a statue of Mary
- One boy she met, who needed a donor heart, will get his organ transplant, the hospital learned just hours after Melania's visit
- It's unclear when Melania became a Catholic or when she was baptized
- She and her sister weren't baptized as infants and didn't make their First Holy Communion along with other kids their age
- Her father was a member of the Communist Party in Slovenia in order to work, and the party was official atheist
By David Martosko, Us Political Editor For Dailymail.com In Brussels
Published: 17:45 EDT, 24 May 2017 | Updated: 04:03 EDT, 25 May 2017
When Melania Trump recited The Lord's Prayer before a Melbourne, Florida presidential rally in February, the Internet went hog wild.
Now we know one reason why the first lady began with 'Let us pray' and 'Our Father who art in heaven' when she introduced the president that evening: She's a practicing Roman Catholic.
Her spokeswoman Stephanie Grisham confirmed that to DailyMail.com on Wednesday, hours after Pope Francis blessed a rosary for her at the Vatican.
The last Catholics to live in the White House were John F. Kennedy and his wife Jackie. Melania and her son Barron will move to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue over the summer.
Mrs. Trump did more than just show up for a Papal audience.
She spent time in prayer at the Vatican-affiliated Bambino Gesù (Baby Jesus) Hospital, and laid flowers at the feet of a statue of the Madonna.
Pope Francis blessed a rosary as first lady Melania Trump held it in her hand Wednesday, during a meeting at the Vatican; DailyMail.com can reveal that she is a practicing Catholic