The work of Catholic Charities, including that of the Office for Social Justice, is deeply rooted in Catholic Social Teaching. Pope Francis' recent teachings, actions, and public statements provide a lot of food for thought particularly related to social justice and the "poor". Our office offers a variety of presentations, workshops, and materials to energize you, your social justice committee, and your parish in engaging reflection, conversation, and action for social justice.
See a sampling of some of the great Pope Francis quotes or resource materials available here on our website. If you're interested in a more in-depth educational opportunity for your parish or another group, please contact us directly.
Quotes from Pope Francis to reflect upon
Office for Social Justice Resource materials on Pope Francis
- "How I would love a Church which is poor and for the poor." -Pope Francis, quote shortly after his election as pope and later re-stated in The Joy of the Gospel, 2013, Ch.4, #198
- "None of us can think we are exempt from concerns for the poor and for social justice." -Pope Francis, The Joy of the Gospel, 2013, Ch.4, #201
- "Each individual Christian and every community is called to be an instrument of God for the liberation and promotion of the poor." -Pope Francis, The Joy of the Gospel, 2013, Ch.4, #187
- "Any Church community, if it thinks it can comfortably go its own way without creative concern and effective cooperation in helping the poor to live with dignity and reaching out to everyone, will also risk breaking down," -Pope Francis, The Joy of the Gospel, 2013, Ch.4, #207
- "People in every nation enhance the social dimension of their lives by acting as committed and responsible citizens." -Pope Francis, The Joy of the Gospel, 2013, Ch.4, #220
- "An authentic faith always implies a deep desire to change the world." -Pope Francis, Homily on March 1, 2014 in the Church of Gesu
- "The measure of the greatness of a society is found in the way it treats those most in need, those who have nothing apart from their poverty!" -Pope Francis, Text from 7/25/2013 in Rio, Brazil"
- "God shows the poor 'his first mercy'. This divine preference has consequences for the faith life of all Christians... This is why I want a Church which is poor and for the poor. They have much to teach us." -Pope Francis, The Joy of the Gospel, 2013, Ch.4, #198
Other Resources for Catholic Social Teaching
Helpful reflection materials: