Wednesday, April 07, 2010

A Mine Is A Terrible Thing to Waste


First of all, I'd like to express my condolences to the families of the 25 people who died in Monday's Coal Mine explosion at Montcoal, W.Va. I know nothing about mining for coal, yet, I know that in W. Virginia, Kentucky, and Virginia many depend on coal mines for employment. A few years ago, I worked in Oil Refineries in Plaquemines and Jefferson Parish Louisiana, under extremely hazardous conditions; I did it because I was willing to exchange my services for a competitive wage; So, I can understand what a person has to do to earn a living in a dangerous work environment. Again, I can only guess what it's like to work in a mine. This fatal accident is a great loss to those that have lost their loved ones, and also to those that survived; Many survivors will continue to support their families from their work at the coal mines.

Could the coal mining industry be an endangered species? Could the possible (OSHA, EPA) legislation arising from this accident seal the fate of the business? Could the cost of mining for coal, and fulfilling all the "new" guidelines ensure that another industry will be shut down? Will we soon be buying our coal from abroad? When possibly 60% of our electricity is generated with coal; Can we afford to out-source coal mining, too? Will we also import coal from China? I'm just anticipating another death blow to American industry. Maybe I'm wrong? But, somehow I think I see an inkling of what may probably happen.


A mine is a terrible thing to waste.

My prayers are with the families of those still unaccounted for within the mine.


Arsenio.
..

No comments: