Saturday, March 03, 2012

Brian McKnight: Believe in yourself


FUNFARE By Ricardo F. Lo The Philippine Star Updated March 03, 2012 12:00 AM 0 comment to this post
McKnight back in concert on March 16 at the Big Dome and March 17 in Cebu City: He would love to sing a duet with Manny Pacquiao. ‘I box to keep fit. I want to be like Pacquiao,’ he says half in jest.

In a nutshell, this is how Brian McKnight described himself in one interview:

“I’m the fifth generation of Seventh Day Adventists and the youngest of four brothers. When I was still very small, we formed a gospel quartet. Our models were the great gospel groups, the Swan Silverstones and Mighty Clouds of Joy. The McKnight brothers were serious singers. The reputation went out: these boys could shout. My big brothers — Claude (a part of the gospel group Take 6), Freddie and Michael — man, they were my heroes. Each was a leader in his own right. Outside church they listened to jazz. Church music thrilled me, but jazz stimulated me.”

Born on June 5, 1969 in Buffalo, New York, McKnight attended Emmanuel Temple and Oakwood University, a Seventh-Day Adventist university, in Huntsville, Alabama, from 1987 to 1989. The previous paragraph explains McKnight’s beginnings in the church.

McKnight has released 13 albums to date, with several going two and three times platinum, and has sold over 20 million albums worldwide. In addition to being a singer, songwriter and producer, McKnight is also a multi-instrumentalist who plays nine instruments including piano, guitar, bass, drums, percussions, trombone, tuba, flugelhorn and trumpet.

McKnight is set to showcase his multi-talent when he performs at the Back with Brian McKnight, produced by MJM Productions, on March 16 at the Smart Araneta Coliseum and on March 17 at the Waterfront Hotel in Cebu City.

Funfare did an exclusive phone interview with McKnight the other day.

When my phone rang at a little past 10 a.m. Thursday, it was McKnight himself saying, “Hello, Ricky!” at the other end of the line unlike in other phone interviews where it’s the stars’ handlers who do the dialing.

The voice was friendly, as soothing as the owner’s music.

“Sorry,” he apologized even if he didn’t have to, “I’m a bit late calling you because they didn’t give me the country code so I was trying to figure out how to reach you.”

I said, “Good morning, it’s 10:15 Thursday morning in Manila.”

He said, “Oh, it’s 6:15 Wednesday night here in L.A.”

I reminded McKnight that he had been in Manila and he half-screamed, “Wow! It must have been five or six years ago! It’s been a way too long…that’s why I’m really excited about going back.”

He started singing when he was a kid, according to his bio-data. Next question: What kind of songs was he singing then?

“It was just church music. That’s how I started. I was probably six years old when I first sang before an audience.”

Onstage with sons Brian Jr. (rightmost) and Nico who will be performing with him in his two concerts. ‘Do I give them tips? No, I don’t. They’re doing well by themselves; they learn by watching me work.’

He still remembers the title of the first song he ever sang.

“It was called Heaven Was Never Promised To Me.”

He added that as he grew older, the same songs appealed to him.

“I listen to all kinds of songs. There’s something to be learned from every type of music and from the one making it, whether it’s pop or jazz or hip-hop.”

And what’s his favorite among his songs, the one that’s closest to his heart?

He gave the same answer as that of other singers.

“You know, all of them, each and every one of them. I can’t pick just one. Every song that I’ve done is me in one way or another.”

Where does he draw inspiration from? In what mood does he write his best — when he’s sad and lonely, happy, heart-broken or in love?

“Everything,” McKnight laughed. “Whatever happens to me comes out in my songs. That’s my therapy. Instead of going to a psychiatrist, I just write songs, hahahahaha!”

Among the artists who have influenced his style were the likes of Stevie Wonder and James Ingram.

“There are more,” clarified McKnight. “There’s also Kenny Loggins, Chicago, Toto, Earth Wind & Fire and even Billy Joel. Oh, there’s just so many. I listen to so many different people.”

Since he mentioned Chicago, the band, I asked McKnight about Chicago, the Broadway musical he had appeared in.

“It was incredible!” he gushed at the experience. “Just being on Broadway doing that show which people have seen so much, uhm, it was one experience that I’ll never forget.”

Would he do any acting again?

“It all depends. For me, the bigger dream is to write and produce and star and score my own play or film. Somewhere down the line, to be on top of the production from beginning to end.”

Does he watch movies to unwind? How does he pamper himself?

“I play a lot of golf.”

Is that how he keeps himself fit?

“I box. I wanna be like Manny Pacquiao, hehehehe! I play basketball and I try to work out at least three or four times a week.”

Manny is fighting against Timothy Bradley Jr. in June in Las Vegas. Are you watching it “live”?

“I have only watched him fight on TV. But this time, I’m watching him ‘live’ in Las Vegas. I’ll see to it.”

Told that Pacquiao is also (trying to be a) singer, McKnight said, “If Manny wants to sing with me, I’ll sing with him. I’m inviting him to either one of my two concerts.”

And what song would he sing Pacquiao with?

“Whatever he wants to do. He’s the man. It would be an honor to work with him on any level.”

Asked if he has worked with a Filipino artist, McKnight said yes, he has.

“With Martin Nievera. Actually, I produced a song for him; I called it The Sorry Song. I also sang a song in Tagalog that he helped me with it. He translated it for me.”

Is he also inviting Martin to his concert?

“I would love to but I think he’ll be in Australia at that time for a concert.”

For his concerts in Manila and Cebu, McKnight will have as guest performers his sons Brian Jr. and Nico.

“They’ve been performing with me off and on for the last four years.”

Any pointers he’s giving his sons?

“I don’t really do much. They’re doing very, very well on their own. They learn by example. It’s just work, it’s a job. And I think they’ve been watching me work their whole life. They learn just by watching.”

Did he sing to them when they were babies?

“Not that much,” McKnight laughed lightly. “It was their mom who would sing them to sleep. But every now and then, I would bring them to the studio to watch me work.”

How does he take care of his voice?

“I just do my best to stay in some sort of shape. I’m lucky that I don’t get sick. I vocalize every day. I don’t really do much, to be honest with you. The big thing I guess is believing that you can do anything. Sometimes people, when they’re trying to be singers or whatever, they just don’t believe in themselves. I have the ultimate belief in myself that I can give the best that I’ve got. That’s the whole point: Believe in yourself.”

One last question (my favorite when interviewing singers): If he were to serenade a woman, what song would he choose to sing?

Thinking for a while, McKnight said, “Oh well, uhm, maybe Stevie Wonder’s Ribbon In The Sky.”

And what’s his favorite line from that song?

He proceeded to actually sing the very first line: Oh so long for this night I pray that a star would guide you my way…

(Produced by MJM Production, Back With Brian McKnight will be staged on March 16 at the Smart Araneta Coliseum and on March 17 at the Waterfront Hotel in Cebu City. Tickets prices are: P4,500 Patron A, P4,000 Patron, P3,000 Lower Box, P2,000 Upper Box A, P1,000 Upper Box B and P500 General Admission. Call Ticketnet at 911-5555.)

(E-mail reactions at entphilstar@yahoo.com. You may also send your questions toaskrickylo@gmail.com. For more updates, photos and videos visit www.philstar.com/funfare or follow me on www.twitter/therealrickylo.)


Source
.

No comments: